Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Good Ship Trout Lists, Tries to Right Itself, and Wrongs Itself Instead*

Softball Slut stopped by the other day and asked a question about my nickname for my experience at Amazon.com. Several years ago I read somewhere that the process of naming things is a manifestation of our need to control it; that by assigning a word we assume some sort of psychological power. I believe it (and for now, we'll ignore the problematic nature of semiotics as brought to our attention by Saussure and co.)

So yesterday, in the process of covering some theoretical territory I hadn't crossed in a few months, I realized I also hadn't made a list for quite a while.

You see, readers, a few years ago an Amazonian helped me through a rough time by advising me to make a list of absolutely everything I was worried about. So I'd sit up at night writing single words or phrases on regular sized notebook paper, often making two or three columns to conserve space. In my days at the 'Zon, my lists would often cover two full pages.

After I quit the place I got in the habit of not just listing the things I was worried about but also writing out specific steps I could take to fix them. And eventually I even got to the psychological place where I was comfortable crossing stuff off the list if there was truly nothing I could do.

All of that was a longwinded way of telling you that I'm about to list everything that's bugging me right now (well, almost everything). We'll skip the part about specific action to take since at this point I kind of do that automatically whenever something bothers me. In no particular order:

room smells b/c of shower leak no one seems capable of fixing

  • current job
    current camp's behavior sucks
    pay
    handcuffed to campus

friends' wedding invite found in mailroom a month late
wedding gift for other friends

  • out of shape and flabby
    little time for exercise
    little motivation – find it!
    shin splints – use bike trainer instead of running
  • money, long-term
    smallish salary
    debt
    new car?
    no cable/internet until cc is paid off – where to blog anonymously?
  • the move
    organizing help
    packing
    enough room for all my crap?
  • new job
    planning
    rules and regs
    too busy to coach?

family's health

-------------

* The first reader to correctly identify the reference to the phrase "Tried to right itself but wronged itself instead" wins a pony.

5 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Trout said...

For the most part this list is entirely manageable, n'est ce que pas? Lots of this crap will end dramatically and suddenly as of August 5th or so; the rest is just kind of normal stuff we all deal with.

Long story short, I'm not really all that worried about much of anything.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

I'm pretty sure the quote is either Douglas Adams or the guy that wrote A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES.

I would google it, but that seems wrong on a lot of levels.

Here's hoping you find a place to blog until you get internet. Your readership of millions will not be happy if you don't.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Trout said...

Okay, Dirk wins half a pony since he couldn't commit and took the shotgun approach.

Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe, and Everything.

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sure, this is shameless promotion of my boyfriend's company... and the site where i blog... and it doesn't solve the issue of not having an internet connection... but you should start using vox. vox has privacy settings... so only the folks you want to see your posts will ever see your posts. and, you can select different privacy settings for every single entry, photo, video, etc that you post on your site. that way, somethings could be public, others private. oh, and it's in beta right now, so you can only join by invite... and i have two left... and i'm offering one to YOU. :-)

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I feel special!! I was spoken of in someone's blog, Sniff sniffff I would like to thank the Academy and all the little people I stepped on to get here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home