Friday, June 23, 2006

Random Question Friday: Comfort (Food or Whatever)

Alrighty, readers, looks like we're on to something with this Random Question Friday business. Thanks to all who replied last week. Mom, I had no idea.

This week's question occurred to me while visiting Kathryn, whose head/chest cold reminded me that I recently bought a humidifier and was disappointed in it. Oh, sure, it pumps out the steam, but it doesn't hum.

You see, readers, as a kid we had this humidifier that churned out steam in such quantities that Mom would have to put down plastic sheets underneath the nozzle. I'm sure she appreciated the medicinal aspects of the thing, but what comforted me was its consistent "hmmmmmm." To this day I sleep better with some sort of mechanical humming in the background.

So the question for you, readers, is this: what never fails to comfort you?

4 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger Kathryn said...

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis by Ralph Vaughn-Williams: There's something about the ebb and flow of the dynamics, and the combination of the orchestra and string quartet trading back and forth that will always decrease my stress levels. Listening to that while taking a long hot bath with bath salts is quite possibly comfort perfection for me.

And since you know I'm an emotional eater to the hilt: fried chicken with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

The sounds of a storm: the rain on the roof and against the windows, the wind, the thunder. I sleep like a baby.

Don't ask me why.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger david said...

my brain allows me to nap so seldom, that when i do nap it's because everything comes together just right:

late afternoon sun streaming in, a breeze moving through open windows and the screen door, a lazy baseball game muted on the television, spacey music on the stereo, and a dog curled up with me on the couch.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Abbey said...

Apples don't fall far from the tree... I'm right along with Kathryn.

I turn on my Sarah McLachlan (Push), get into a scalding hot bath full of lavendar or sea salts and soak away my stress.

As for the emotional eating: E.L. Fudge Cookies or Spaghetti-Os

 

Post a Comment

<< Home