Thursday, June 15, 2006

Interlude

Alright, I'd imagine some of you just can't wait for my next post about religion, but the more I write about it, the more obtuse and tangential some of my points get. I think there will be individual installments regarding Christianism, the word of God, and the sanctity of marriage, but at this point I'm really not sure how I'm going to frame it all so that it A) makes sense and B) doesn't come off like whiny half-baked sentimentality.

In the meantime, how about a little World Cup commentary to lighten the mood?

First, the Germans have played two of the most exciting soccer games I've ever seen. The 93rd minute goal versus Poland yesterday had my kraut DNA going full-blown kraut crazy. If you know me at all you know I tend to play up my Scottish "heritage" (based entirely on assumptions and a surname which came, in theory, from somewhere near Dunfermline). But hey, my German heritage deserves props too, and the Scots are sitting on their sorry asses after not even qualifying for Cup play.

Second, the U.S. national team pretty much sucks. DaMarcus Beasley need not even suit up for Saturday's match versus Italy or yours truly will go apolectic. But watching the U.S. play, and anticipating a trip to Denver to see an MLS game, has spurred pipe dreams about coaching soccer. I really do see that in my future.

Third, I'd like to see an African nation advance but I'm not sure it'll happen. Ghana is in the U.S.'s group, but so are Italy and the Czechs, and those two are the favorites to survive. The Ivory Coast played well but still lost; Tunisia stands no chance. We'll see what shakes.

Okay, folks, I'm off to write a check for like $4,000 so that some group of people can officially say I'm qualified to do something. Wheeeee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home