Thursday, August 03, 2006

A Quick Note About Tie Colors

So I've been using my bike trainer lately, pedaling my happy ass to absolutely nowhere while watching NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. Why NBC? Dunno. I remember Tom Brokaw giving props to South Dakota once on The Today Show when I was a wee little tyke living in Brookings, and he became The Anchor I Trust The Most. And when he quit and Brian Williams took over I stuck with NBC for the theme music (I know, I know - a rearranged major diad isn't a real big deal. But the way they play it makes it sound all important and shit).

Besides, Dan Rather was always a self-important goombah. I couldn't even tell you who has his job now.

Anyway, I've been watching the nightly news and sometimes a little cable news, and I've noticed that members of Congress have begun wearing blue ties. I don't know how many of you remember the heady patriotic fashion trend of late 2001 and 2002, but red ties were everywhere. Ev. Ry. Where.

There's been a shift, somehow, to blue. A desperate attempt by the right to soften its image? A desperate attempt by the left to show where their loyalties have always lied, despite some serious and consistent kowtowing to the whims and fancies of a Republican Congress? Beats the hell outta me.

Even the president has been wearing blue ties lately.

Okay. Back to wrangling badgers small children.

1 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

Katie Couric is the Dan-man's replacement. Look for Smiley McGums to take over this fall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home