Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Moment of Random Coincidence

Hey, everyone, before reading any further, check out Dirk's story about his devil costume and accompanying pitchfork.

Are you back?

It's a strange world. Dirk and I worked together several years ago and have kept in touch. Our birthdays are close (he's a few years older than me); we share a similar sense of humor; he's gay and I'm not. Regardless, I'd never heard his pitchfork story and was astonished to read about it today.

When I was five or so I too wound up as a devil for Halloween. I'm pretty sure my mom sewed the costume - just like she would later sew my sweet Chewbacca costume - and I recall fairly vividly that I wanted a pitchfork really bad. I don't remember the precise argument about the pitchfork, but I do remember being a supremely pissed off five year old when I learned I would not, in fact, be allowed to carry a pitchfork around the neighborhood. I'm sure there was a logical reason - say, the likelihood that I would spear everything within striking distance including but not limited to my sister - and I'm also sure they were completely lost on me. Oh, the injustices of a five year old's world.

Instead, my mom sewed a piece of black fabric onto the front of the costume. Apparently I went along with it but I'm not sure why. In retrospect my devil costume went from totally badass to Dorkiest Homemade Costume (Ages 10 and Under Division) in just a few snips and stitches. No pictures exist. That's probably a good thing.

1 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Blogger dirk.mancuso said...

I had heard of the legendary Chewbacca costume, but never of the devil suit.

Be glad you never had the pitchfork. Some losses are almost too much to bear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home